Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Okra Refrigerator Pickles



I was hoping to can some spicy okra pickles for the winter, but I didn't plant enough okra this year to harvest several pounds at a time. On average I'm harvesting about 1-2 cups per day.  For the most part, I have been just slicing and blanching the okra and freezing it in quart sized ziploc bags for the winter.

Yesterday I stumbled upon a great looking recipe for okra refrigerator pickles at The Hip Girl's Guide to Homemaking.  This is a perfect method for enjoying small amounts of pickles without all of the work of canning.  I used this basic method and drew some inspiration from the Creole Spiced Okra Pickles in Liana Krissoff's Canning for a New Generation.  The creole style spice blends is a mash up of several recipes I have seen online.  It would be really good rubbed on chicken, shrimp, or fish or sprinkled on top of roasted potatoes and vegetables.

Creole Style Spice Blend

•1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
•1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
•1 Tablespoon cumin
•2 teaspoons thyme
•1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
•1 teaspoon coriander
•1/2 teaspoon cloves
•1/2 teaspoon celery seed

Mix all together in a jar.

Creole Style Okra Refrigerator Pickles

•about 1/2 pound fresh okra pods, washed and trimmed- enough to pack tightly into 1 quart or 2 pint glass jars
•1 cup cider vinegar
•1 cup water
•2 teaspoons pickling salt, or kosher salt
•hot pepper, optional

Pack trimmed okra and pepper, if using, into glass jars. Top with 1 1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning. Bring the vinegar, water, and salt to a boil in a small saucepan.  When the salt is dissolved, pour the vinegar mixture over the okra. Cover and store in the refrigerator.  Let the flavors in the pickles blend for a week or so.


4 comments:

  1. I just made a single 8oz jar worth of this with my reasonable sized pods. I'm so excited for next sunday's Bloody Marys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you tried it! You'll have to let me know what you think. These pickles would be great in a Bloody Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they ROCK!!!! I just came back to get the recipe for another batch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! I'm really glad that you enjoyed the recipe.

    ReplyDelete