Monday, February 13, 2012

Batch Cooking: Meatballs



After a several month hiatus I'm back working again.  Now that Wade and I are both out of the house everyday before nine and we don't get home until nearly seven each night we need to work on streamlining our evening meal planning and making freezer dinners.

For the next week or two I'll be working on some batch cooking favorites to restock the downstairs freezer.  Many of these dishes are things that my family has been making and freezing for years, but I'll also be including some of my own recipes as well.

My older sister, Lisa, has always made some of the best meatballs around.  I don't know where she originally got the recipe, but I love having a few bags of these in the freezer for when we need to get dinner on the table fast. Of course spaghetti and meatballs is an easy go to dish, but these work great with either marinara or barbecue sauce in sandwiches, pastas, soups, or even casseroles.

•3 pounds ground beef
•2 medium onions, chopped
•2 eggs
•2 Tablespoons parsley
•1 teaspoon oregano
•1 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
•1 cup milk
•1 scant Tablespoon salt
•1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.  Make sure that there are no dry parts.  Using wet hands, shape mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls.  I like to use an ice cream scoop to measure the meat mixture out so that everything is a uniform size.

 


Place in a lightly greased baking pan with shallow sides.  Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.  Cool and freeze in freezer bags or containers.


No comments:

Post a Comment